14 May 2014

sustainability

One of the things that are important to me in designing a clothing label, is that it's items are sustainable. I'm not in it for changing the world - let's be realistic: I'm just another mother with an urge to create something nice ;) - but I sure do not want to contribute to making it worse either.

I did some research and found out the highest standard for items is being GOTS certified. A little background:

'The aim of the Global Organic Textile standard is to define world-wide recognised requirements that ensure organic status of textiles, from harvesting of the raw materials, through environmentally and socially responsible manufacturing up to labelling in order to provide a credible assurance to the end consumer.
Textile processors and manufacturers are enabled to export their organic fabrics and garments with one certification accepted in all major markets.'

I have tried my best to get a GOTS certification for my labels, but since I'm just starting up and want my clothing to be affordable, GOTS is not a realistic aim just yet. For now, about 50% of the Finch + Agnes' first collection will be made from bio cotton. Hopefully - given there is a future for Finch + Agnes - new collections will come closer to achieving this goal.

All the more respect for brands like Mini Rodini, Nosweet and Popupshop that offer GOTS certified clothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment